Tuesday, May 26, 2009

stop everything and listen to karen dalton

old mp3
Although I've read Dylan's "Chronicles, Volume 1" and Karen Dalton is mentioned in it I'd never encountered her until very recently (meaning yesterday!). All I can say is that, apart from my daily Grizzly Bear/Department of Eagles listening, I've been listening to her debut album "It's So hard To You Who's Gonna Love You The Best" almost non-stop and it's, frankly, astonishing.

Dylan described her having "a voice like Billie Holiday and played guitar like Jimmy Reed".

It's one of those times, like the first time you 'get' Leonard Cohen or Joy Division or Nick Drake, where you think why didn't I know this earlier? Would my life have been more complete with this in it?

So here's the title track and (I never do this) a link to the full album. It's brilliant. Now I must be off as I've just got her second record "In My Own Time". I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment