Wednesday, March 4, 2009

jon brion - here we go

old mp3

"If God exists then the pop music he makes sounds like Jon Brion"

To the best of my knowledge nobody has actually ever said that but believe me when I say that I have thought it on many an occasion!

You may not know the name Jon Brion but I guarantee that you have heard Jon Brion. If you've seen "Magnolia", "Punch-Drunk Love" or "I ♥ Huckabees" or listened to Kanye West's "Late Registration", Rufus Wainwright, Fiona Apple, Rhett Miller or Spoon then you're more than familiar with what he sounds like and how he does things.

His style is all very (early period) Beatles-y and melodic and poptastic but that doesn't stop him from writing some insightful and truly beautiful songs. This one is from a similarly insightful and beautiful (and quirky) movie, the aforementioned "Punch-Drunk Love".

No comments:

Post a Comment